Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Good Ole Southern Soil : Part I

(From 1/29/14)

I apparently wasn't being honest when I said that my next blog would be written from India; but I'm almost as giddy to be able to share with you from the good ole Southern soil! ;) If you know me at all you most likely know that I am a lover of the South. I do not care what part of the South I am in; but if you put me in the South I am one happy girl! :)

In the past few days I have been to two Southern states that I had yet to step foot on: North Carolina & Georgia. A bit more has happened during the past 4 days as well, so I should probably start from the beginning...

Fore-warning, I have a feeling this is going to be just a bit scattered.
I warned you. ;)

Wednesday I left home to head to the Dayton Airport to begin my journey to North Carolina. This was my first time traveling alone, my first time flying, & my first time being away from home for so long (6months.) You can imagine the possible frantic state I could have been in; but to be honest, the only thing I was nervous about was learning how to navigate the airports - I was the person nervous that they would accuse me of having some sort of thing in my bag that wasn't really there at all & have to be searched - fortunately I worried for nothing. ;) I made my way through the Check In, went through security (which went a lot smoother than I had expected), found my gate & then had a good hour wait. That hour wait turned into two hours, but for someone who likes to people watch as much as I do, that flight delay from Dayton to Charlotte was heaven on earth. ;)

It can be interesting, the people that you meet, no matter where you are or what you are doing. I took my aisle seat on the plane & watched as everyone passed me by, I began to think that I was sitting alone when a young looking gentleman walked up to me & said, "I believe I'm sitting next to you Miss." I glanced at his name tag which read "Matthew Shultz: Pilot." I informed him that it was my first time flying & as we took off he looked over at me & said, "Are you sure it's your first time flying? Most people are clenching their seats, you look like you're at complete ease." My Mama has been telling me lately that I do a really good job at not showing fear or stress - apparently she may have been on to something! ;) But to be honest, I didn't only look to be at ease, I felt completely at ease flying in that plane. I was calm, I was at peace. :)

Pilot Matthew and I talked the entire flight, which was only 2 hours, but it felt good being able to share with him & learning about him as well. As we talked I learned that we live just 40minutes apart from each other, this young looking gentleman has been married for 11 years & has 3 adorable sons (who he was kind enough to show me pictures of.) He asked me where I was headed & I, of course, didn't hesitate to tell him that I was flying down to Georgia & would soon be going to Paris & India - which led into an amazing conversation about the Dalit people of India (which he knew about) & modern-day slavery. Before we knew it our flight was ending & I was repeatedly thanking him for being so kind; but by surprise he looked over at me & said, "There's no need for you to thank me, you have a gentle spirit - it was easy to get along with you. And, I need to thank you...Thank you for doing what you're doing in India, most people wouldn't do something like that, especially at your age. I'm impressed, I may not know you, but I'm proud of you." In response to that all I did was say, "Thank you, but no, there's no reason to be proud or impressed with me - all I am doing is what I feel has been on my heart to do. All I am doing is what I believe is God's will for me."

From there he helped me off the plane (I had gotten somewhat light-headed) & helped me navigate my way through the Charlotte, NC Airport to find the baggage claim. Our 3 hours together ended with a photo of Matthew, my constant repeat of "thank you" & a hug.

I was supposed to have a connecting flight from Charlotte to Atlanta - but that connecting flight was cancelled due to the fact that the South struggles with knowing how to handle snow & ice. ;) It's okay, I am not dissing you, you hospitable Southerners - because that very incident left me with several family members & old friends willing to let me to stay with them. I ended up staying with an old family friend, Tasha, who I probably haven't seen since my single-digit years! ;)

I spent Wednesday evening in Charlotte, NC, aside from driving through it - it was my first time to that state! From what I had seen, it was beautiful. I spent that evening with Tasha & her boyfriend Albert, who I am happy to say once played in the Minor Leagues! ... Which, incase you didn't know, is a huge deal for a Baseball fan like myself. Spending time with them talking about our individual past, present & future while eating Mexican food & watching our choice of television shows was a good way to spend the night. I believe that I thanked them well over 100 times for allowing me to be a part of their evening & for being as kind-hearted as they were! :)

I felt that the South was treating me well already...
This had all happened within 1 day and I hadn't even made my way into the state of Georgia.

Teresa :)

2 comments:

  1. First of all this was written beautifully.I know it God who put that peace in ur heart that you felt and feel,and it was he who put the people there to lend u a hand,cuz like you said it us his will that u are doing,.I pray that continues to watch over you,and keep u safe and at peace,I am very proud of you and I LOVE you,GODBLESS you teresa,love you always,ur dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad u have been enjoying yourself so far on ur journey :) love ya sis

    ReplyDelete