Saturday, March 1, 2014

A Beggar's Heart

I've been sitting here wondering how on earth to begin this - actually for the past 5 or 6 hours. That seems to be the hardest part, just beginning. It has seemed to be a trend thus far. Somehow processing the past few days & sharing my thoughts & my feelings has become nearly impossible.

I arrived Tuesday night but had only been able to see India in the dark from the backseat of a vehicle. It was quieter than I had expected, less activity than I expected; but the heat, that hit me all at once - the moment I walked out of the airport Tuesday night. That was a part of India I expected, a part of India I hoped was pretend & make believe.

Wednesday was my first full day here. I was able to venture a bit with a friend, who I will be working along side of. We went to lunch & then she showed me a few of her favorite shops in order for me to buy some Indian clothing that I'd be wearing during the next 6 months. Eating lunch was a breeze, buying clothing was exciting, but what came next once I stepped outside of the shop, left me on the sidewalk in my friends arms weeping like a baby, repeatedly saying, "I don't know what to do; what do I do?" Not only was I seeing, smelling, tasting, touching & hearing India... I was feeling India. I had been approached, for the first time, by children-beggars.

I had shared with another friend (who picked me up from the airport & is working with the organization I am in India with) during our ride from the airport that beggars was the part of India that I, in no way, felt prepared for. I told her that the moment I realized this reality that it would wreck me. And it did.

We were walking out of the shop after buying some clothes & all of a sudden I heard little voices. It didn't sound like they were saying full sentences; just broken words that I could barely understand. It took me a moment to realize what was happening, suddenly there was a face right next to mine keeping up with my pace, & suddenly there were hands at my side & in front of my face. I barely looked at them, it was wrecking me, it was hitting me. I quickened my pace, I had to get away. I realized what was happening, I realized who was next to me, I realized who the tiny voices belonged to. Child-beggars, Dalit children, the very first thing that ever caught my attention into wanting to come to India back when I was 13.


The reality of it all hit me at once: they aren't just faces I've seen over a computer screen, they aren't just names from books that I've read or stories that I've heard, they aren't just a number or a statistic in India, they aren't just a caste in a culture dictated by it's caste system & beliefs... They are people, they are the very people that Jesus loved & has called His believers to love.

 Jesus loved & loves the poor & the needy, the prostitutes, the outcastes, the down-trodden, the hopeless. I am called to love the poor, I am called to love the needy, I am called to love the prostitutes, I am called to love the outcaste, I am called to love the down-trodden, I am called to love those who need hope - India is filled with those very people, I face them on a daily basis.

I am wrecked. I'm crying as I write this...
I am humbled in a way I never thought possible by being here.

I feel like sharing this with you is not doing justice to the experience; but I'd much rather share anyway.


"Hands reaching through barred windows, falling asleep on the sidewalk.
You say You draw near to the low,
Now I know, now I'm here I know, I'm not low enough.Because all the things I know, suddenly seem so small.And I'm learning, when You build it feels like You tear me apart.
When You heal, it always leaves a scar.
And even when You fill, You leave me with a beggars heart."

Teresa

2 comments:

  1. gunna be quite an experience..prayers prayers prayers sent ur way daily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teresa.... awesome. so good. prayin for you girl. and you're right, Jesus loves those sweet babies and he wants good things for them. pray hope and life and provision for them. who knows what God has in store! LOVE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This is Kerri.. I don't have any of those accounts so idk how to sign it lol.

    ReplyDelete